We value the ability to speak another language in our increasingly global society. Developing the skills of language learning opens doors and creates opportunities far beyond the classroom.
All students study Spanish in Years 7, 8 and 9 and then can choose to study French (ab initio) or Spanish at GCSE starting in Year 10. We have a team of dedicated, specialist teachers who are passionate about enabling young people to broaden their horizons and to communicate in another language. We also offer students whose native language may not be English the opportunity to pursue a qualification in that language.
Languages foster a natural curiosity to explore other countries, cultures and customs and to communicate clearly and confidently.
Plan an engaging scheme of work that builds knowledge and skills incrementally and allows students to be immersed in the culture and customs of the target language. Lessons will include opportunities for students:
- to explore the patterns and sounds of language through songs and rhymes and link the spelling, sound and meaning of words;
- to write phrases from memory and adapt these to create new sentences;
- to listen attentively to spoken language and show understanding by joining in and responding;
- to engage in conversations, ask and answer questions, express opinions and respond to those of others;
- to write at varying length, for different purposes, uses the variety of vocabulary and grammar they have learnt;
- to learn about cultural awareness and develop an ability to see the world from different perspectives;
- to develop creativity and problem-solving skills as they find new ways of understanding and communicating;
- to appreciate stories, songs, poems and rhymes in the language;
- to express ideas clearly and understand basic grammar appropriate to the language being studied, key features and patterns of the language, how to apply these, for instance, to build sentences, and how these differ from or are similar to English;
- to confidently model, and provide students with the opportunity to speak in full sentences, using familiar vocabulary, phrases and basic language structures, developing accurate pronunciation and intonation.
- Have a good knowledge of vocabulary and grammar and the confidence to use these in speaking, listening, reading and writing activities that help to achieve well;
- Speak a modern foreign language with increasing accuracy and be willing to take their language knowledge out into the world.
|Mrs F Bouretaa (HoF)||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Miss N Davidemail@example.com|
|Mrs G Ciubotarufirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Mr D Zeffieemail@example.com|